Did you know that harmful acids can begin damaging your teeth as soon as they come into contact with them? The problem with brushing right away after meals is that your teeth may be extra sensitive at that time and your toothpaste and toothbrush may be too abrasive to your teeth. Instead, opt for a product that can reduce the acid buildup in your mouth without damaging your sensitive teeth.
What are the benefits of chewing sugarless gum? Look below to find out:
– Within sugarless chewing gum lies the secret to its success. The chewy products force your mouth to produce excess saliva. The excess saliva, in turn, has acid-neutralizing capabilities and can wash away bacteria and food particles.
– Sugarless gum can also minimize the effects of heartburn, and if chewed early enough, can even prevent heartburn from occurring.
– Most chewing gum can create additional saliva in your mouth, but chewing gum with sugar adds sugar directly to your mouth, thus offsetting the benefits it provides.
– Sugarless gum is best chewed for at least twenty minutes after meals and should never be used as a substitute for brushing and flossing daily.
– Sugarless gum should not be used if you suffer from a jaw disorder such as a temporomandibular joint disorder.
If you are looking to restore or repair your smile, or replace any missing or damaged teeth, contact Dr. Gerald Fujii and our team at Portland Dental. We can be reached by calling us at 503-227-1693 to book a reservation to see us at our office in Portland, Oregon. We will be glad to help you achieve the results you are looking for.