Did you know you could be causing daily damage to your teeth and not realize it? In fact, many people have regular habits in their life that can lead to dangerous oral health conditions like tooth loss, gum disease, or even oral cancer. That is why thinking about the habits in your life might help you realize which practices are excellent for your oral health and which practices are damaging to your oral health.
To help you understand more about daily habits and the link to oral health, our dentists, Dr. Gerald Fujii and Dr. Daniel Lee with Portland Dental in Portland, Oregon, have provided you with a list of intel on the topic.
Here is a list of daily habits that may be damaging your teeth:
- Neglecting oral hygiene habits like brushing and flossing is placing your teeth at risk for cavities and gum disease, which could lead to tooth loss and even bone loss in your jaw.
- Chewing on pencils or pen caps puts unnecessary pressure and strain on your jaw, which can damage ligaments or a tooth.
- Eating disorders are treacherous to your health and can cause a host of problems to your teeth and gums. If you are suffering from an eating disorder, be sure to seek professional help right away.
- Chewing on ice can be destructive to your teeth because ice is a very hard substance strong enough to crack or chip a tooth.
- Nail biting strains your jaw and can trigger pain in your facial joints in your future. It is best to avoid this little habit to keep your jaw healthy and strong.
As you can see the damage to your teeth can become severe if these habits are left unchecked. If you still have questions, or if you need a dental exam, then please call our office today at 503-227-1693. Our friendly dental team is happy to help you and schedule you a time that works best for you.