The teeth tend to become stained, yellowed, or just not as bright over time. Many people wish to brighten and beautify their smiles to counteract this. Teeth whitening is the most commonly requested cosmetic dental service. Dr. Fujii, Dr. Lee, and our team are happy to provide teeth whitening in Portland, Oregon, for those who wish to brighten their pearly whites.
When considering whitening your teeth, you may wonder:
Why Did My Teeth Change Color?
The radiance of teeth can fade over time for several reasons, including:
– Food and beverages – Certain beverages, like tea, red wine, and coffee, can stain the teeth. In general, foods and drinks with an intense color can stain the teeth.
– Tobacco products – Tar and nicotine, which are both found in tobacco, can create stubborn stains on the teeth.
– Age – Beneath the outer layer of the tooth (enamel) is a soft, yellowish area called dentin. Over time, the tooth enamel becomes thinner and more of the dentin shows through.
– Trauma – If you have a mouth-related injury, a tooth may change color. This is because teeth lay down more dentin when they are injured. Dentin is the yellowish layer under the enamel.
– Medications – Certain medications (like antihistamines, antipsychotics, and high blood pressure medicines) can cause tooth darkening. Chemotherapy can also darken the teeth.
At Portland Dental, we offer both in-office and take-home whitening to suit meet the needs of each patient. Contact our office today to learn more and to schedule a consultation. Our dentists and team are happy to answer any questions that you may have.