As with all oral health care treatments, it is important to make sure you have a dental checklist in place for the Halloween season. If you are not careful, you can easily damage your teeth through the consumption of candy, which can increase your risk of dental abrasion and make your teeth even more likely for damage to occur. Consider the following checklist to help prevent damage due to dental abrasion in the consumption of candy this Halloween:
– Brush your teeth with a toothbrush that has soft bristles at least twice daily.
– Keep your mouth safe from the dangers of sugars by limiting the intake of Halloween treats.
– Visit your dentist for routine examinations and professional cleanings.
– Avoid sticky or chewy candy such as gummy bears and taffy.
– Floss your teeth with shred-resistant floss.
– Exercise caution with the candy you consume. Avoid popcorn balls, candy apples, and any other hard candies that can easily chip or crack teeth.
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum after snacking can help stimulate saliva flow and prevent cavities.
Be sure to exercise caution this Halloween when it comes to your treats. If you would like to know more, we welcome you to consult our ‘fangtastic’ dental practitioners at Portland Dental PC. If you would like to make an appointment with Dr. Gerald Fujii, please call us at 503-227-1693, or stop by our office in Portland, Oregon. Have a safe and happy Halloween!