One of the most common forms of oral ailments that can befall your smile is through dental erosion. Dental erosion, also known as enamel erosion, occurs when acids begin to wear away the tooth enamel that protects your teeth. When your tooth enamel is worn away to the point a hole has formed in the tooth, cavities will occur, which can lead to infections and future tooth loss. Thus, it is important to establish effective treatment methods for dental erosion and assess any causes that can increase its prevalence, including the following:
– Acid reflux disease is a known cause of dental erosion.
– Medications, genetics, and environmental factors all play a key role in the formation of dental erosion.
– Dry mouth is a known risk factor for dental erosion.
– Foods and drinks that are high in sugar and starches can lead to dental erosion.
– When treating and preventing dental erosion, always remember to brush and floss every day with safe and effective tools.
– The production of saliva is extremely important to lower your risk of dental erosion. Not only can it help wash away acids, but it can promote and provide disease-fighting substances for your mouth.
– A healthy diet that features nutritious meals is extremely beneficial for the prevention of dental erosion.
Now is the best time to visit the dentist office of Portland Dental for dental erosion treatments. Dr. Gerald Fujii and Dr. Daniel Lee in Portland, Oregon, are here to ensure you receive the dental erosion treatments to keep your smile in peak condition. We can be reached by calling us at 503-227-1693.